Wednesday, February 21, 2007

5 Whys - Do they really work??

Ok.... this is Management Control Systems session.

An assignment is due on the 5 - Why Analysis. This mode of analysis is supposed to dig out the 'Root Cause' for an identified problem. it is used most of the times in operations and was first used in Toyota...

Enough of details, I was very keen on testing this out. My friend Shaks and I had to complete the assignment and had the 'huge' responsibility of completing it on time.

So the problem we identified was what just happened to me earlier during the day:
"I reached late to class" - This was taken up as the problem identified.

Why did I reach late to class?
Because I got up late in the morning

Why did I get up late in the morning?
Because I slept late the previous night

Why did I sleep late the previous night?
Because I was in a party which went on late into the early morning

Why did you party late?
Because I topped the batch in a subject which was difficult

Why did you top the batch?
Because I had internalized all the learnings and had become an expert in the teachings and concepts of the subject

Thus, the root cause was analyzed. I should not have learnt the subject well. The problem would never have occurred in the first place. However, what good is it if I don't learn from past mistakes?

I will see to it that I never top again in class. It simply leads to other problems.

...It really works...

2 comments:

Buls said...

Hahahahha... I am proud of my core group...

Unknown said...

hmm good one.